Hey everyone 🙂 I learned another recipe from my host family this past week: ceviche de coliflor, otherwise known as vegetarian ceviche. This recipe replaces seafood with cauliflower florets shredded into fine pieces and is great as a meal when the weather is suuuper hot! My host family likes to prepare this because it’s really quick to prepare and because my host brothers are even willing to eat this despite the lack of carne (meat) in the dish haha.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3-4 tomatoes
- (optional) 2 cucumbers
- 1-2 limes
- Chop off the leaves from the cauliflower head and break it apart into smaller than fist-sized florets.
- Soak them in salt water to disinfect for at least 30 minutes.
- Shave the skin off of the carrots and use a grater to get fine carrot strips.
- Repeat Step 3 for cucumbers if you have them.
- Peel the outer layer of the onion and dice into fine pieces.
- Dice the tomatoes into fine pieces.
- After the cauliflower has been soaked thoroughly, drain the water and grate the florets. You can also grate the stalks or save them for cooking something else (avoid food waste)!
- Mix all of the vegetables together and squeeze the lime juice into the mix and add pinches of salt to taste.