When you’re home for the holidays, it’s the perfect time to prepare something delicious with your loved ones. This weekend, my mom taught me how she makes candied bacon with just three ingredients! Fair warning though, it can be quite sweet, so ration your sugar intake for the day or week if you’re gonna be snacking on this 😛
- 1 pack of thick sliced bacon
- brown sugar
- maple syrup
- To drain as much fat from the bacon slices as you can, we lined a flat plate with paper towels and stacked the bacon and microwaved it for about 5 minutes, in 2 1/2 minute intervals. We let it sit so the fat could drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While you wait, prepare a baking tray and line your slices. Pour brown sugar and maple syrup to your liking!
- Pop the tray into the oven and keep an eye out for it…we waited about 10-15 minutes, took it out, flipped it so both sides could be evenly marinated, and stuck it back into the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Get another baking tray (a deeper baking tray is preferable), line it with aluminum foil to catch extra fat or sugar, and put a cooling rack on top. Place the bacon slices onto the cooling rack, and pop them back into the oven again.
- Now this is entirely up to you how long you want to leave it in the oven, but watch for it to change to a nice golden brown. Be careful because sugar can burn easily so you don’t want to end up with burnt sugar bacon (unless that’s what you’re going for!)
- When you are finished, shut off your oven and take out the baking tray to let your bacon cool individually so when you take them out they aren’t all stuck together.
Enjoy your sweet treat!